Saturday 23 June 2012

Tucker from The Land Down Under

Not long ago a friend asked me about Australian Cuisine. What is it made of and how is it prepared. That question left me dumbfounded and a bit confused.

Although I can confidently answer you about my native land The Philippines' cuisine I cannot do the same with my present home.

What is a real Aussie Food?

First of, let me quote a line or two of our nearly, but not quiet National Anthem:

We are one, but we are many
and from all the lands on earth we come
we share one dream
and sing with one voice
I am, you are, we are Australian.

Indeed, in my household alone, there is a Filipino and Hungarian. And both of us are Australian Citizens. Hmmm...

Australia is a very young country. Its first settlers brought with them the tastes of 18th century Great Britain. Roast beef, Irish stews and Yorkshire puddings are eaten most of the time.

Two centuries later, these eating habits have gradually changed. In the Gold Rush of 1851, adventurers and speculators came from all over the world, among them thousands of Chinese who began successful market gardens, greengrocers shops and restaurants, thus introducing us to new tastes. From there it continued.

Today, influenced by the large number of immigrants from the Mediterranean, Asia, Americas and other countries, our menus now reflect Australia's multicultural society. Traditional dishes have been spiced up with new flavours.

There are still some classic, fair dinkum Aussie tucker, that have stood the test of time. But I am going to share with you the food Rich and I enjoy Down Under. It is as mixed as Pinoy Halo-halo and Chopsuey. These are actual food we have tried! Personal photos!

Bon Apetit, Mangaon na ta!

Most of these are Chinese and Asian: We love going to Footscray, Richmond, North Melbourne & CBD to sample the best food. I have been to some parts of China but Melbourne Chinese Food tastes better! Promise!

But there are also a handful of yummies from Greek, Italian and Aussie Restaurants/ cafes and some classic pubs!

NOTE: you are going to see a lot of food photos. Leave now if you are hungry and have not cooked yet. I do not want you to hate me.♥


Charsiu Pork on Steamed Rice

Spicy salted Chicken Ribs



Fried Bean curd with mince pork


My favourite: Belly pork, Tofu, mushroom, shallots with ginger gravy on steamed rice





stir fry squid with Asian Vegetables




Prawn and pork spring rolls with special dipping sauce that makes the difference!




Pork and Prawn Paper Rolls with chili and peanut dipping sauce





Broken Rice and Pork Chop






Stir fry vegetables with crackling pork


***

 
 
 
Aussie Buttermilk Fried Chicken


Creme Brulee with vanilla ice cream
French Crepe with Nuttella and banana!

Strawberry Crepe with vanilla and raspberry sauce

Churro's!!!


This is string beans with shallots and garlic so pinoy

Garlic crabs - Asian influence


Portuguese Peri-peri Chicken! NANDO's
Squire's Loft Chicken kebab and baked mushroom

Mediterranean Pasta Salad with roast vegetable and chicken


Steak a la Neng. Made this at my humble home

Creamy potato salad by moi!


Sticky glaze pork ribs and buttered beans by me again


Fish and chips from the shop!


Oh Nando's, can't get enough!


Squire's Loft is the best place to get Juicy tender flavourful Steaks!


Oh this is my favourite too! Filipino Kare-kare. My friend Wilma makes this for me all the time! When I crave it she does it! Last week though I craved for it and tried to do it myself.Why not? It was okay, better than expected! Wilma's still the best! It beats Kamayan.


Nando's again!!!


Unlimited Calamari Rings with tartare sauce - Limor's Caulfield


Steak and chips



Pork Spare Ribs
 Wedges!

Porchetta at Renzo's


Scotch fillet with potato mash and reduced vincotto jus


Roast Chook by Richie Rich


Tofu bokchoy, zucchini and baby corn stir fry

As you can see from all the food posted here, Aussie Cuisine is a fusion of the food from cultures that came and called Australia home.



(I think the rest will have to do next time. I am going to have real dinner now. We are having Kievs, Potato gratin and apple/Celery salad. Kalami!)

2 comments:

  1. AYNA!!! grabe man sab gjud ini kalamiers!! pwede bbox? jamat galing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamat na Jollibee, these came about after my cravings of our food there! I have to console myself that Aussie too has a lot to offer hahaha ...a lot mo lang! When are you and Blues coming down?

    ReplyDelete